Wormley Football Club was originally formed in 1921 playing its home matches on land donated by Joseph Rochford & Sons, at that time a big name in horticulture as well as being an employer of a large percentage of the local population. The Club was reformed in 1947 after the 2nd World War, moving to its present ground at Wormley Playing Fields, in Church Lane in 1954.
During the late 1940’s, 50’s and early 60’s the Club was a major force in Junior Football, frequently embarrassing more senior opposition during that period. The late 1960’s, and early 70’s saw a decline in fortune, however, this was redressed and by 1975 the Club had progressed to join the Herts Senior County League, where the Reserves are in Reserves in Reserve & Development 1. The First team now play in Thurlow Nunn Division 1 South in this its inaugural season. Despite a few near misses over the years the First team have never managed to lift the Premier Division title. The highlight for the Reserve team was winning the Division 1 Reserve title in 1998-99 dropping only four points in the process.
Since stepping up to the Herts Senior County League, the Club formed a successful Youth Section in 1975, with a number of players going on to play in professional ranks. David Bentley, who played for Blackburn and Tottenham, began his football career with Wormley Youth before being discovered by Arsenal. The next step was the addition of a flourishing and successful Vets section in 1984.
In line with League requirements, a fixed post and rail was installed in 1990, floodlights were added in 1994, and the brick built dugouts in 1996